View Single Post
Old 11-19-2005, 08:37 PM

Default Re: what should i do ?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
in my dream world, my boyfriend goes back and finishes school (he did the same thing as me) and gets a better job to help secure us financially for the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the boyfriend you've posted about before that is kind of a screw up (no offense) and won't get his [censored] together? this situation sucks. i don't have an answer but good luck. i think you really should seriously consider improving your p*ker game. you have the perfect resource here and it doesn't sound like you have much to lose.

[/ QUOTE ]
no offense taken,... but i don't really remember posting about him being a screw up ?. are you thinking of the post about my depressed/jobless friend that people were assuming was about my boyfriend ? because it wasn't.

other than that i'm not sure what you're referring to. we've been together 8 years now, he's always held the same job and i know he wants better for the future. he lacks motivation (like me [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ), but he is a smart guy.

anyway thanks. i do try to improve my poker game, i play almost every day. i study but not as often as i should since i'd rather play, and i am slower at learning than i'd like. i think i will get better though as long as i don't lose my bankroll [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] bonuses keep me playing for now though , pretty much.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is all so very sad...

Now, listen to your Uncle Milo. If you are going to partner with a smart, but unmotivated man, you are going to need to make some changes.

1. Stop relying on your bf for your security.
2. Go to college/get a real career.
3. Play less, study more.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are all good ideas. I'd just like to add that college doesn't mean all that much, if anything, any more, except to show that you've gone through college. It's not necessarily a money-maker, and can be a great expense that saddles you with a lot of debt without giving you much of a better way to make it back than if you hadn't gone.

Those are a bunch of maybes, though, that can be taken either way depending on your luck, your persistence and creativity in uncovering good jobs, the employment opportunities where you live, etc.

One certainty though is that if you want to go to college not to just say you have gone but to really improve your life, it helps to have a very concrete plan and a practical direction. A degree in, say, anthropology is probably going to mean jack in practical terms in your life, though it may saddle you with a lot of satisfaction in addition to the debt it saddles you with to acquire it. But a degree in something that tends to lead to a concrete job skill or two, or at least toes the line in the way businesses want you to by channeling yourself in the "appropriate" direction so they'll give you a chance, helps one hell of a lot more. There are different ways of going to college, and these days, unless you come from money, doing it the practical way is by far the best use of your time and money. A college degree by itself doesn't mean much of anything anymore and has lost whatever magical cachet it might once have had. The right kind of college degree, though, can still improve your life in a way that goes beyond one's surely estimable but ultimately completely unmarketable soul.