View Single Post
Old 11-19-2005, 01:24 PM

Default common mtt tournament mentioned on zee justin\'s website

i was just having a look at zee justin's website,and i read the article where he talks through a tournament he played...

most of it seemed pretty useful,straightforward stuff,however there was one hand described that struck me as being a little odd...
maybe its just the stakes that i play,but my experience of this situation has been different to his and i was wondering what other people think...

from the article:
"
Another huge hand came up during 2k/4k blinds. I opened for 10k in early position with AK of hearts and only the small blind called. The flop came T83 with 2 diamonds and my opponent moved all-in for 26,500. There were 24k chips in the pot. There are three hands you will be shown in this spot. The first and most likely hand is a couple of overcards that missed the flop like KQo. The second most likely hand is a draw of some sort, most likely a flush draw. The third hand he could have is a small pocket pair. Given these three ranges of hands, and that only the least likely hand is ahead of me, I decided to call. He showed AQo, and I was a huge favorite. The turn was a jack, and the river a queen – giving me the nut straight."

now i understand his reasoning here,and indeed can see why in tournaments with mainly good,thinking players it works,i find that when i have been in this situation,a lot of the time my opponent has a pair...not a great hand,but a pocket pair which panicked,or A8,KT,K8,god knows what else...
i see draws and overcards in this situation too,but i've found more often than not that he will have a pair of some description...

what do other people think?

is it just a question of stakes?
i usually play up to $50 freezouts and $30 rebuys,daily tournaments,and i dont have nearly as much experience in these bigger tournaments...