View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Poker definitions. Totally OT

[ QUOTE ]
In updating our poker dictionary for the FAQ, I have run into three words for which the definitions seem a bit interesting. Perhaps our regulars would like to provide a definition or comments to help with these.

Advantage player
The definition currently in the dictionary is taken from Mike Caro University Poker Definitions:
“A thief or cheater, that is, someone who wins by taking an advantage.”

I received this pm from HammeringHank:
Hi Doc,

I must object to your definition of Advantage Player in your online dictionary. An advantage player is generally defined as anyone who gambles with an advantage over the house. It is a term that describes card counters, video poker pros, as well as sports bettors and three card poker players who play with an edge. I have sometimes heard it used to describe winning poker players. I have never heard it used in the manner you describe. I was a card counter for many years before I took up poker and I have many friends who would be appauled. Great job on the dictionary. It's very useful, you just missed one here.
Thanks,
Hank

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Hank. Advantage players engage in, well, advantage play. Advantage play is simply +EV play. There's no negative connotation in there at all, that I've ever heard of. To me it has the opposite connotation - an advantage player is a smart, knowledgeable, thinking man's gambler who plays to win. That simple.

eastbay