View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 03:55 PM

Default Re: I say I\'m sorry as I check-raise

[ QUOTE ]
But if anyone has a simliar account of pissing of an agreeable player, I'd love to hear it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The type of reaction you will get for saying "Sorry" is certainly player-dependent.

Indeed, this past summer, while playing in a juicy 5-10 kill game at Foxwoods, I was already into my ritual tequila shots while joking it up with a friendly, cool, loose-passive Black guy who was on my direct right.

I was in the SB with 77, and there were a few limpers to my buddy on the Button, who limped, as did I. I then flopped a set on a low-str8ish board. I bet, and three players, including my buddy, called. The turn brought a not very threatening card (maybe a T or J?), and I bet again. It was folded around to my buddy, who said with seeming sincerity "I'm sorry, but I have to checkraise you," after which he put out his raise.

I pondered for a moment, and replied "Well, I'm really sorry as well, but I think I'm going to have to reraise you," after which I put out my chips.

My buddy let out a groan, double-checked his cards, chuckled while saying something like "Maybe my hand isn't as good as I thought it was," and then called.

The river went bet-call, and after I showed my set, he tabled his queens and gave me a good natured head nod while saying "Good hand."

And while this was all happening, a couple of other players were smiling or laughing softly, with one young guy proclaiming "Wow, that was like the most polite action I've ever seen." [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

And no offense was taken by anyone.