View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Poker definitions. Totally OT

[ QUOTE ]
They need poker context definitions that distinguish between the two.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't exactly understand why they need poker context, they're real words...

one sec:

oed:

ethic: relating to morals
ethical: of or pertaining to morality

etiquette: (defn c) the conventional rules of personal behaviour observed in the intercourse of polite society; the oceremonioal observances prescribed by such rules. (defn d) the unwritten code of honour by which members of certain professions are prohibited from doing certain things deemed likely to linjure the interests of their brethren, or lower the dignity of their profession.

so personally i would say that ethics are those things that are general rules of human behavior. like, you can't shoot someone, you can't rob them, even though you're in a card room. so angle shooting, string raising, cheating in any way, (ooh, short raising, i think that's the word for what i was thinking, where you put in one too few chips or whatnot), and that sort of thing, are unethical. the key to unethical poker things i believe is that they seek to circumvent the rules of the game itself.

whereas etiquette are things that aren't actually injurous to other people, but you shouldn't do them anyway, because "it's a dick move." like slowrolling, berating people, etc. in poker world, i believe that violating etiquette usually doesn't involve breaking the rules of the game itself, and doesn't in any way provide an edge to the unethical player, he's just a dick.

c