View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Ann Coulter, Joseph McCarthy and Hollywood

[ QUOTE ]
I said, “His ‘method.’” I enclosed the word “method,” because that’s what it was. He used a “procedure” of the U.S. Senate as a vehicle to implement his goals. The constitutionality of what he did was never tested in the only place it matters.

[/ QUOTE ]
no idea what you mean. are you agreeing with me?

[ QUOTE ]
I didn’t say the Communist Party was illegal. Their connections to the Soviet Union were real. The degree and importance of the connections, as well as the degree of Soviet influence can be argued.

[/ QUOTE ]
i don't think their connections were ever proven. moreover, connections of some members do not equal connections of the whole party. mcarthy was accusing people of attending a meeting.

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I kinda remember the Cold War. Your definition of “open military conflict” differs from mine. For starters, look up the shooting down of a USAF RB-47 flying over the North Atlantic. We raised quite a stink about it in the U.N., but nothing was done.

[/ QUOTE ]
i can't find a reference of this. RB-47 shot down were not over north atlantic. source

there's a difference between outlawing the nazi party directly connected to the german furher with whom the whole world was involved in a war, as opposed to a college campus communist group that had few if any connections with the Soviet Union, and was not supporting the soviet government (spying, working for, whatever constitutes treason), and was not calling to overthrow the government of the united states. sure, the cold war can be called an military conflict, but not to the extent of WWII.