View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 12:30 PM

Default KJs versus raised pot

What do you do in this situation?

Villian is a TAG. Solid player that'll never raise junk, and sometimes tricky (know's the usual tricks like betting for a free card etc..). We've played against each other numerous times, so he's got an idea of how I play as well. Rest of the table is LP.

PokerStars 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO <font color="#A500AF">(villian)</font> raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO <font color="#A500AF">(villian)</font> caps</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

This was a mistake on my part. I was going to raise if the pot was unraised, so my mouse was over the "raise" area. When villian raised, I didn't catch myself in time and re-raised (kids were distracting me). Too bad, because I'm sure some callers folded because of that [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] On the other hand, since villian capped, I am now fairly sure he has a big pair, as he wouldn't re-raise given he's out of position. I can be fairly certain that I am WB right now.

Flop: (13.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">villian bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, villian calls.

I raise here to by a free card on the turn if I miss since I have position over villian. The coordinated board helps me here on my semi-bluff if villian doesn't have a piece of the straight draw or flush draw. I think I have sufficient equity in to draw, and the pot is large enough. K's and J's are tainted since there's a good chance that they'll give villian a set, so I can't count on pairs. Really what I'm drawing on is the straight. Also, villian may have a heart, in which case he hits a flush if a heart comes up. However, if he had an overpair with a flush draw, he'd re-raise. I'm pretty certain he doesn't have the flush already, as if he did, he'd re-raise, so I think I'm safe. I think villian has a big pair with no hearts give his call.

Turn: (8.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
villian checks, Hero checks.

get my free card

River: (8.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
villian checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, villian calls.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB

Other than my botched-up re-raise pre-flop, I think I played this ok.

Two questions:
1) Should you play this given a TAG, tricky villian, or do you just fold PF?
2) Was the raise on the flop wise, or should you just call?