View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Ann Coulter, Joseph McCarthy and Hollywood

[ QUOTE ]
his method was accusation of people to the point of political pressure on their families, employers, etc. none of those people were ever presented with evidence that wasn't rumor and speculation. many who did not even get a hearing had their constitutional right to due process violated.

[/ QUOTE ]
I said, “His ‘method.’” I enclosed the word “method,” because that’s what it was. He used a “procedure” of the U.S. Senate as a vehicle to implement his goals. The constitutionality of what he did was never tested in the only place it matters.

[ QUOTE ]
you will have to explain yourself. the communist party was not illegal, or outlawed like the nazi party. it had no connections to soviet union, and even if they did, there was no open military conflict with the russians, so there is no illegal activity an alleged communist could be doing other than spying for them.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn’t say the Communist Party was illegal. Their connections to the Soviet Union were real. The degree and importance of the connections, as well as the degree of Soviet influence can be argued.

Yeah, I kinda remember the Cold War. Your definition of “open military conflict” differs from mine. For starters, look up the shooting down of a USAF RB-47 flying over the North Atlantic. We raised quite a stink about it in the U.N., but nothing was done.

[ QUOTE ]
so he made up a witchhunt for his personal gain at the expense of american taxpayers and constitutional principles?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep, that pretty much sums it up. It took a while, but his “esteemed colleagues,” (I just love it when DC folks say that) finally got tired of Joe’s antics and censured him. A rare action.

Btw, it’s still going on. Watch C-SPAN. It’s really a hoot.