View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Why do i start daydreaming when I try to learn something by readin

First off, ADD is a myth

Secondly paying attention and focusing is a skill, it doesn't just happen, you have to PAY as in spend energy on your attention, your attention requires energy (wonder why the drug they use to medicate is SPEED?)

Information doesn't just flow through your eyeballs and in to your memory, you have to put an effort in to making the information relevant, which is one reason why teachers help so much, you are paying this person to be interested in the subject for you, and in turn you can just feed of their energy instead of putting effort in yourself, "I'm in class to learn", there is nothing to distract you and you know your purpose.

Now when you're at home, what have you spent the magority of your life doing alone at home? daydreaming, goofing off, games, it's become commonplace, routine, when your at home, your mind is expecting these activities to happen so they do, unless you put effort in to blocking them out.

Pills will help for a little while, but thats the easy way out and you don't really need them.

When you're reading and begin daydreaming, you have to put effort in to stopping yourself mid sentence as soon as you realize that you are not paying attention, go back to the last place you remember being focused, tell yourself that your going to pay attention and reread whatever you skipped.

Practice this skill, it's not uncommon for people to be easily distracted in this world where there are dozens of things designed to catch our attention everywhere we go it's easy to put your mind on autopilot then believe that something is wrong with you when you can't pay attention, you just haven't practiced enough.