Thread: Tax Bill
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Tax Bill

Actually if this passes you'll see less money paid in dividends FWIW as corporations have other alternatives than paying cash dividends like buying back stock. Therefore you may actually see a decline in revenue from taxes on dividends. As Kurn mentioned it's double taxation and before we get into another argument about the ethics of double taxation, just because double taxation exists in other areas doesn't legitimize it IMO. Corporations will tend to do the "tax effecient" thing.

As far as capital gains taxes, I think you'd be likely to see less investment in economic growth but I'm sure others would reply that there's no proof of that. Depends on how much you tax something would be my response. Tax investments at double the rate of anything else and see if it leads to significantly less investment in business and thus significantly less economic growth. When does the impact on the economy become "significant" i.e. when does job growth slow by 20%?

What should the distribution of income be among the tax payers? I don't support tax increases of any kind without answering this basic question.