View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 10:40 AM

Default Re: Difficult Situation With A Close Friend

[ QUOTE ]
fm191124,

You may say I am mental. I don't know anything about the value of your judgement. To explain further: conventional life is not for everyone. I just try to be non-judgemental. If he doesn't harm anyone else, from my viewpoint, he has the right to try what he wants. What's more, if I figure out the guy properly, from the little I know, I suspect he would hate interference and probably go harder at it, for spite.

Anyway, you are enttitled to your views. I simply want to assure you that I have his best interests at heart in suggesting that he probably doesn't want to be interfered with. But I know some people cannot help themselves, they have to set everyone else right (according to their, or the majority, view).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not some broader societal issue about conformity and ambition.

This is about one person who this guy feels is throwing his life away.

And he's not trying to "set him right" - he just wants to express his concerns about the decisions his friend is making.

If you talk to addicts in rehab, most of them will tell you that they never would have gotten there if it hadn't been for someone who cared about them forcing them to face up to their reality.