View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 04:17 AM

Default Re: When do you look at your cards. And Why?

I used to look at my cards as soon as I received them. I did this primarily to keep the game moving as fast as possible. But I recently switched to waiting. Rather than looking down and seeing something like 88 or AQ that could be a questionable cold-call or 3-bet if I'm faced with a raise, I get to see from whom the raise comes BEFORE I look at my cards. This way, I can look at my cards fully prepared to act in a certain way. I don't like looking at my hand, waiting to see what happens, and then deciding. I'd rather wait to see what happens, and then look and decide in one motion. It saves a few brain cells and allows me to make a few folds that I don't think I was making when I looked immediately. 88 and AQ can look sooo good when you're running bad, but when the rock raises, you're suddenly hoping to peer down into the eyes of big pairs and AK. I don't like getting attached to my eights and then releasing them preflop. It makes them unhappy.

[ QUOTE ]
As far as giving off preflop tells yourself... practice. Matt Damon practiced with blank cards while making rounders to make sure he didnt piss himself with excitement when he picked up that A9.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't really make sense. Why would he be excited to see A9 preflop? I'm not doubting that he practiced with blank cards, but I'm not convinced that the reason you presented for WHY he practiced with blanks is accurate.