View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 12:23 AM

Default Blind stealing at the PP 10/20

This is one of the things that stands out to me as a mistake by a number of TAGs at the 10/20 full ring. Not all of course and probably not even a majority. I suspect it's mostly people new to the 10/20.

In general, people defend their blinds and attempt to steal blinds too much.

The reason this happens is pretty easy to grasp. On a table that's at least 50% TAG, which most every 10/20 is, a blind stealing opportunity is going to be very common. As a result, a TAG dutifully raises to attack what is likely two other TAGs in the blinds figuring their folding equity is very high.

The TAGs in the blinds, being no dummies, know what is happening is very likely a steal attempt and after just a few minutes of exposure to 10/20 figure they need to defend a lot more.

Side question: Who's making the bigger mistake, the player who attempts to steal more or the player who defends more?

TAGs can get so in the habit of stealing that they no longer restrict their steals into players that have a high probability of folding.

I cannot possibly recount the number of times I've cringed seeing some TAG trying to steal a 30%+ VPIP player. Worse, a 75% showdown player. If one of those players is sitting to your left, give it up, you won't be getting very many blinds at all that session.

When presented with an opportunity to steal a blind, I take as much information possible into account (if I'm not distracted, in which case I simply fold). Not the least of which is how often have I tried to steal the blind recently. Try to work out a balance to your blind steals without just mashing raise button. And especially avoid those post-flop jousting hands where chips are spewn (we're all guilty of these).

When defending the blind, ask yourself why you're defending the blind. Let a player take a few blinds. You don't have to defend them all like a rabid dog. The blind isn't your money anymore. This is poker 101, but it's so easy to forget. The blind in front of you is offering you a discount to see a flop against your opponent, but it doesn't turn Q2s into QJs.

- Jim