View Single Post
Old 11-17-2005, 08:26 PM

Default Re: Sites Have Motivation to Reward Poor Players. Period.

Hornacek,

First, I think this is much better than your taco post. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Moreover, the negative implications, if caught, would be disastrous. A previous poster stated that other companies would do this for an increase in short-term profits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are right about this. Certainly a site like Stars or Party probably has limited interest in this, because thy have much to lose. On the other hand, if a site has the option of folding its business or slightly modifying the odds, I think you may see a bit more motivation.

[ QUOTE ]
Poker sites are huge cash cows right now (at least the big ones). I see no reason to try to increase short term profits at the risk of losing long term wealth.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wholeheartedly agree with this. The question is: if there is a astronomically small chance of being caught (and I think there is, given the lack of regulation), is the opportunity cost of that smaller profit still potentially worth the extrememly limited risk of being caught?

I think we can agree that at some point, the economics of it all would encourage a Site to do it. For example, if a site knew that there was ZERO chance of getting caught it would make business sense to do it.

[ QUOTE ]
In short, you make a valid point about the REASONING a company would do this, I agree with you. I just disagree in the likelihood of this actually happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully, as you submit, the very limited regulation and market forces are enough to prevent any site from doing this.

Are they? Who knows? I think we agree they probably are, but I think we can also agree that there are certain scenarios where they would not be.