View Single Post
Old 11-17-2005, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Evidence that God exists

[ QUOTE ]
Nice try. But this is like saying it's easy to prove black is not red, up is not down, and a 747 jumbo jet is not a bowl of chocolate ice cream. A square is simply a label we've assigned to something with 4 sides. You are not proving that a round square doesn't exist, but only that we do not assign the value of a square to anything that does not have 4 sides. Let's see you try to prove the non-existence of a square on my desk right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct that I only used definitions in my post, but any contradiction will do. I only used definitions to make the examples completely clear. Suppose it follows (say, by the argument of evil) that our concept of God is inherently contradictory (or, contradictory given the assumption that evil exists). Then it could easily be said that God does not exist.

[ QUOTE ]
But in the absence of sound evidence that something exists, it is "practical" to proceed as if it doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Just make sure that the "practical" assumptions don't form the basis for logical arguments.