Thread: SLAP vs TAG
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Re: SLAP vs TAG

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't have a chance to look at how pokertracker defines SLAP exactly, but from memory, i think it's semi loose (before the flop) aggressive (after the flop) passive (overall, including preflop). which makes sense with the way i play.

[/ QUOTE ]

The "SLA" part is preflop. Semi-Loose meaning you see more than 20% of your hands (using default #s) but less than some higher rate (like 30% or something, I can't remember where LAG starts). The "P" is for calling more often post flop than betting or raising. It is the opposite of what you indicate in your quote, above.

Anyway, if that's what you want to do (to OP), then just bet and raise more than you call. This can be tough because with this approach (if you're not so good with hand reading, like me at the moment) you can very easily win a lot of small pots, lose a lot of medium sized-pots, fold a lot of marginal hands that would have won if you had called them down, and win about the same number of monster pots as playing more passively post-flop. On the other hand, this TAG style post flop is intimitating to an opponent, and can often give you better information more cheaply than calling someone down. It is also possible that this style, played well, can generate more well-disguised monster pots becaue a TAG can get away with looking like he's playing an overpair from LP for a raise while holding 78s, flop a straight, and get all-in versus a set who thinks the TAG is holding onto aces or kings with white knuckles. The TAG might also get more action from passive post flop players if he shows down a couple of cases in which he was betting his draws like he had a made hand (as opposed to calling or folding with a draw), but then changes gears for a while betting with the goods instead of draws.

Here's an example of SLAP versus TAG style in action. Let's say you raise AK preflop in LP, the flop is A72r, and the SB who called preflop bets into you for 1/2 pot, then you are probably way ahead (AQ or AJ, for example) or way behind (77 or 22 or even a loose A7s). Do you call the 1/2 pot bet, call the turn and call the river? Or, do you pop that probe bet up to 1.5 times the size of the original pot (2x the min raise, or maybe more depending on stack sizes) to see what happens? SLAP play would be inclined to call (call the probe bet, call a turn bet, then call the river, and be out for maybe 3 or 4 times the size of the original pot if he was way behind, but win a nice pot if he was way ahead). TAG play would be inclined to pop that probe bet a good amount and then take it from there - i.e. check behind on the turn if villain calls the raise then checks the turn, or fold if villain calls the raise and pots the turn, or fold if villain pushes preflop (out only 1.5 to 2 times the size of the original pot before folding), or just win the pot right ther because villain folds his JJ and gives up after his probe bet fails to fold you out - the point is that hero must make a read on each street post flop and either raise, push, check, or fold - and that's it...only on rare occaisions (i.e. the ONLY hand that calls a raise on the river is one that has you beat, etc) would you be inclined to just call post flop trying to play uber-TAG.