View Single Post
Old 11-17-2005, 04:25 PM

Default Re: A8o isolation from the BB

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I fold this preflop 100% of the time.

My thinking is that even if I hit either of my pairs I am never comfortable understanding where I am at. Therefore, even under a good scenario I am in the dark, why do I want to voluntarily take this position?

Flopping 2 pair is not a thought and ought not be used to justify entering the pot preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should reconsider. Instead of just avoiding marginal post-flop situations, work hard on your postflop play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was hoping/expecting that someone would make this point. I think that it's a correct statement, in general; that is, the more comfortable with our game we are, the more the likelihood that we will venture out into more complex, more uncomfortable situations.

The situation, as presented, seems to offer us a crapshoot in that our opponents are on such a wider variety of hands that we can not effectively use our presumably superior skills to outmaneuver them. Not that I am a no-limit player, but I've heard/read the comment that a superior player will forego a seemingly large edge presently because the consequences of losing (all-in being the most severe) are still not worth the risk. That is to say, it may better to forego a present 60/40 allin in order to exploit a perceived 70/30 skill advantage with less risk.

Now, obviously, we play limit so the extreme risk is not present but, in the instant case, the variance is quite high, imho, and to avoid it is not necessarily bad.