View Single Post
Old 11-17-2005, 02:52 PM

Default Re: How to steal the button?

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone explain how this is done? Like, from what position, what size bet, against what kind of player?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I am thinking about buying the button, I usually want solid tight players after me, a very good drawing hand (like a suited connector), and several people already in the pot. Since we are talking about buying the button, we are obviously talking about a move with weak hands not AA-KK AK and other such big hands.

I want solid tight players after me, because I don't want to be cold called. I don't want a guy that normally will call a raise with something like Q9s sitting on the buton.

Since my hand is on the weaker side I want to make a smallish raise (maybe raise only 2-3BB which is double a min raise). I want to buy the button not steal all the dead money (but that is not a bad option either).

I want a nice drawing hand, because they do much better in position than they do out of position (which is why I am buying the button to get position). I want a hand that will often flop a nice draw such as a suited connector. With a smallish pocket pair I would prefer to limp and go for my set, but somemtimes I might raise there too, but I am often setting up a steal on the flop and not buying the button.

I want several people in the pot, because I want somebody there to pay off bigtime if I hit with my speculative hand.

If all of these are favorable, then go for it. If only some of them are favorable, you might give it a try, but don't bother if you have loose calling stations behind you. Obviously, the fewer players to act behind you the better, so I think CO or CO-1 are the best spots for this.

I don't think this is a hugely important play to make, but it is a nice play to mix up your game if your opponents don't understand what you are doing. They simply see you showdown a straight with 98s after raising preflop and think you are a retard.