View Single Post
Old 11-17-2005, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Abortion, and birth control

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does the old man have a right to your kidney?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. I'd also have to assume that the old man had no part in the decision as the fetus has no part in the decision of its creation. So assuming the old man didn't know, do you have a right to commit uniniated force against him? I don't believe you do. Just as if a man hits his wife, she does not have the right to hit her daughter, even though aggression was committed against her. In other words, being aggressed against does not give you the right to aggress against innocent 3rd parties.

You have to assume the fetus has rights in this scenario or else there's no reason to bring it up because if the fetus has no rights, the circumstances of its conception don't matter; you can abort it regardless.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are missing my point. EVEN IF you grant a fetus full human rights, it's very strange to say that another person has a right to your body AGAINST YOUR CONSENT. Of course this is a moot point if you grant a fetus zero rights.

But the extreme anti-abortionists will argue that even in cases of rape it is morally reprehensible also means that it is morally reprehensible to demand your kidney back from this "innocent" man.