View Single Post
Old 11-17-2005, 06:54 AM

Default Re: Help a sit-n-go player who doesn\'t understand deep stack heads-up

I am in no way a skilled HU-player, but in the low-stake STTs I play a lot of ($20+2 buy-in) I find that I outplay most of the players I meet HU. My experience is that there's one key-point in HU-play: See the flop.

If I'm SB I'll call with any two cards. If my opponent pick up on this and always reraise my calls, I'll throw away the worst hands like 32,42,73 and such, but call the raise with anything else to see the flop. I'll call an unraised pot with everything.

I'll raise with any A,K,Q or J, any two cards T and up, any pair, any suited connector down to 56. Big pairs I tend to slowplay or raise 50/50. I will call almost every standard raise with any two cards in order to see the flop. Heads-up you almost always have the odds to call anyway. If the opponent is really weak I will raise every hand. When he finally plays back at me I'll know he have something and fold, unless I've picked up a hand myself.

If I hit any pair on the flop I'll raise. Top pair any kicker is a monster heads-up. If I'm ten times or so the stack of my opponent I'll put him all-in with any two cards.

My experience is that a lot of players at this level don't grasp the fact that in heads-up almost any hand is playable. There's no bad startinghands in HU, only bad flops.

Aggression is the key: The most aggressive player will win the HU-play. Unexperienced players will put you all-in when they finally play a hand. This actually might not be a bad play on their part, because the longer a HU-match lasts, the more of a edge the better player have. Call the all-in with any A or any pair if you have them covered. Fold if you have a rotten hand and just keep on stealing. For every all-in from a rookie player you fold, you will steal four pot's, so just take your time. Eventually the other player will go in when you have a big hand.

And then it's over.

D.