View Single Post
Old 11-17-2005, 06:53 AM

Default Re: A hand Entity and I talked about

I don't think it has been mentioned, but there is an interesting parallel between this hand and the hand discussed in "To Bet or Not to Bet" in Mason Malmouth's Poker Essays Volume I.

In that hand, Mason held the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], and there was a limp-reraise from a player Mason was sure would only do that with aces or kings. On fourth street, Mason made the nut flush and raised his opponents bet (the third player in the hand then folded). However, the K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] was on the board, and the river put a pair of fives on the board. Mason suggests the correct play is to check behind on the river, since with his A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and the K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the board, there are an equal number of combinations of aces and kings for his opponent, and because he will get check-raised 100% of the time if he has a full house, and may not even get paid off if his opponent has aces. He also mentions that his opponent is aggressive enough that he could not fold to the check-raise.

Jason's hand is fairly different, though. In particular, there are more combinations of aces than kings with the king on the river, and in these online games the opponent will not fold aces in this pot. Bet the river.