View Single Post
Old 11-17-2005, 04:21 AM

Default Re: Two Questions For Not Ready

[ QUOTE ]

And don't cop out with a "I trust such matters to God's providence" stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think that trusting God's providence is a cop out we have another disagreement. Tell me what Scripture you rely on to decide this case.

[ QUOTE ]

And another key difference between catholic and most protestant theologies is over "faith alone" versus "faith plus works". Which is the reason Luther wished to exclude the Book of James from the canon of the NT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Luther misunderstood James. As far as I know, he's the only Protestant who didn't get it, and after all, he was the first and was most concerned about the works salvation prevalent at the time. This is an area that I think often comes down to a verbal difference, but it's often hard to tell what the official Catholic line is. The way a lot of Catholic writing is worded I can't say with certainty they claim salvation is by faith plus works. Instead they take the James line that legitimate faith always has works, which is the same as mainstream Protestant doctrine.

[ QUOTE ]

God gave us reason. Obviously it can be used correctly, i.e. logically, or it can be applied incorrectly. If you don't see that difference it is because you are not being intellectually honest with yourself so as not to have to deal with logical contradictions inherent in your protestant beliefs that would make it necessary to re-examine the specific christian views you hold.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Catholic church has, at least since Aquinas (but notice not since Augustine), placed human reason at a higher level than Scripture. There is a fundamental divide between Reformed theology and Catholicism over the nature and effect of the fall. But the difference isn't over logic per se, but over man's fallen ability to use logic correctly. You never seem to get this point.