View Single Post
Old 11-17-2005, 02:53 AM

Default Re: Two Questions For Not Ready

[ QUOTE ]

1. Are the reasons to believe in Protestantism rather than Cathlicism, as good and as clearcut as the Christianity vs, Islam question? Are you equally certain that Protestantism is correct and Cathlicism isn't as in the Christianity vs, Islam question?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe some of the doctrinal differences between what I believe and Catholics are as clear cut, but those doctrines are not related to salvation. For example, the infallibility of the pope. I feel very certain this is incorrect, but someone can believe it and still be saved, or for that matter be a much better Christian than me. Catholic and Protestant doctrine are much the same concerning salvation, though there are some nuances that I don't think affect salvation. It would be wrong to say I believe Catholicism is incorrect without much qualification. The reason Islam is so different (and there are some areas of agreement between Islam and Christianity) is they differ on major doctrines, especially relating to Christ - which is true of Judaism as well. But mainstream Catholicism and Protestantism (at least historically) are very close on matters related to Christ and salvation.

[ QUOTE ]

2. Are the reasons to believe in your particular sect of Protestantism (predestination, Calvinism, or whatever you call it) rather than other sects of Protestanism (that don't beleive this stuff) as good and as clearcut as the Christianity vs, Islam question? Are you equally certain that your sect of Protestantism, is correct and the other sects aren't, as in the Christianity vs. Islam question?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is similar to the Catholic question though the differences aren't as sharp on the non-salvation doctrines, and I'm uncertain about what I believe in some of the more difficult areas - perhaps it's more a matter of vocabulary than doctrine. Actually, there is no denomination or thelogian I agree with 100% - but there is no doctrine I believe that isn't held by some denomination or major theologian. The church hasn't done much better than Israel did, maybe worse in some areas.