View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 11:43 PM

Default Re: CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Actually I think that golf is similar to poker in the respect of luck vs skill. The long run is very long in golf as it is in poker. Tiger Woods at his best (and he dominated in 2000) didn't even win half of his tourneys in 2000 (against 80-144 other players for four days). One hand of poker is somewhat comparable to one hole of golf. There is the luck of getting cards vs the luck of synchronizing your swing (more luck for bad than good players) and the luck of the roll in golf is significant. Even the worst players can make a birdie (or win a pot) periodically. That's what keeps them coming back in both.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree- how many no-names come out and beat the top pros in a PGA event such as the US Open?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on what you consider a no-name. Besides, you're only playing 72 holes in golf vs 30 hands/hr in poker. The sample size (number of holes) cannot be made big enough to identify the best player easily. Why do you think the big names never make it to the final of the match play tourneys?

There is a significant amount of luck in the game of golf. Playing around scratch for over 20 years has allowed me to identify that.