Old 11-16-2005, 09:06 PM

Default Re: KT 1/2 6-Max Hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bet/fold, methinks.

[/ QUOTE ]
meagrees.

Also, I used to raise KTo (and similar hands) when first in from MP (that is, 4 players to act behind me). King Yao convinced me to stop doing it, and I think he was right. So I fold this preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

In 6max, MP refers to the 2nd guy to act so there's actually only 2 guys to act after you. This is a standard open raise in 6max.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I'm just counting the blinds in my left-to-act count.

Open-raising this hand (KTo) is specifically mentioned in Yao's book for this situation (well almost -- he actually says UTG in a 6-handed game, this would be UTG in a 5-handed game). It's Mistake #1 in "Common Mistakes in Shorthanded Play".

I used to think raising this was standard too, and I think it was costing me money. I was very frequently being reraised by better hands. You want to open up your preflop raising standards when playing shorthanded, but not open them up too much.

Having said all that, if everyone else after me is super-tight and really like folding, I'd probably open with it anyway. You still have to play the players -- but if the players behind me are loose and/or aggressive, it's getting ditched.