View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 07:04 PM

Default Turtling in chess

Interesting post!

Chess has a similar “turtling” phenomenon. A new player starts playing, and soon gets fed up with getting checkmated in ten moves or less. In most cases, the new player then starts building little fortresses around his king. This strategy also ensures defeat against a better player because the better player has nothing to fear from his opponent’s purely defensive play. The better player can deploy his pieces at will and use any strategy he wants. Instead of getting checkmated in ten moves, the new player gets checkmated in forty moves. Eventually, players begin to appreciate the value of attack, defense through counterattack, and having the initiative (dictating the course and tempo of the game.) A good player will castle early to give his king some protection, but the king is given no additional protection unless it is necessary.

I am glad that you described this in poker terms. Maybe this is why pros are more willing to bust out of a tournament early than try to squeeze into the money with just a chip and a chair…a situation I usually find myself in when I play big tournaments. Thanks!