View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 06:51 PM

Default Solution for the non poker understanding girlfriend!

Adam,

You've gotten so many replies I don't know if you'll have a chance to read this, but I had a similar conflict with my girfriend that resolved nicely.

If poker is important to you, like it is to me, you should NOT be prepared to give it up. Its important to know that many women have trouble understanding how important poker can be to a guy. Its natural that they start to feel like they might not be as important at times. I've missed dates with my girlfriend because of MTTs a couple times and believe me, this was a problem. But she is important so rather than break up with her, which I almost did, we decided to try working through it and have arrived at a very good solution:

The solution is to make her understand that poker is important to you (less important than her, of course) but something that you need to have control over. What works with my girl is that I always communicate with her about when I'm playing and I designate days I won't play -- days she has me to herself. But on other days I do whatever the hell I want, even if that means staying up until 4am playing. Right now we have a great relationship and sometimes she'll want to come over on poker days full well understanding that I will be glued to my laptop. She just hangs out with me and reads her book and talks with me between hands, knowing that on her days she has my undivided attention.

We even went to vegas together recently and it worked out great. We scheduled specific times for activites we would do together and the rest of the time she did her thing, mostly pool lounging and slots, and i hit the poker tables.

This is something that is working very well for me and I suggest any men or women out there in relationships with non players try out.