View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Notebook of a Gamer: \"Turtling\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Remeber, the longer you last the better chance you have at cashing, whcih is what its all about.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is blatantly wrong, and exactly the reason I made this post; the fallacy that taking steps to "not lose early" is the same thing as winning, which it isn't. You cannot limp into the bubble in MTTs consistently without taking risks, for the reasons I outlined above.

EDIT: Unless your opponents are awful, "Building your chip stack without taking any risks," is fantasy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny enough, building your chip stack consistently while avoiding large risks is precisely what early aggression can do for you.

To the starcraft example: Expanding aggressively and focusing on 'turtling' with the Terrans isn't what the OP was takling about. The OP was talking about what I used to do, which was making sure that I had Toss Cannons on every square of map within there screens of my base.

When you said turtling, I actually thought of the days in my youth where I was hardcore into Killer Instinct and later Tekken. Seems like similar things hold in fighting games though. I could annihilate most opponents that were from 'bad' to 'decent' with an approach that focused on counter-attacks and letting the opponent make the first move. A good player would own me every time.

Anyway, to bring this back to poker: The survival mantra about MTTs is awesome, especially when EVERYBODY does it because they're "Better than the opposition" and therefore can "find better spots."