View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Its not about odds.

A lot of times a 150 chip bet will get a guy to fold, just as well as a 500 chip bet

and

Think about how cheaply you can bluff and still get the player to fold.

Two good points. Many players overbet their hands and waste chips when they get played back at.

However:

I always like to see a flop with at least 2 other people, because that maximizes my chance of hitting something, while others hit something as well.

This is silly, some hands play better heads-up, some like multiway action.

Anyone who is agressivley betting preflop will get burned, even if the "odds" are in your favor.

First of all, this is very stack-size vs. blind size dependent. But for example, you're much more likely to get burned playing AKo passively preflop than aggressively. If you have 12 BB in your stack, and there's a raise and a call in front of you, the correct play is all-in.

I will often fold TT - QQ preflop is someone is agresivly betting.

Again, this depends on who the players are who are doing the betting, but sure, QQ-TT can be folded to a raise and reraise, especially if the reraiser is know to be tight.

The key to holdem is controlling the pot size. Maximizing profit with nut hands. Avoiding stupid risks. And not relying on odds all the time.

Sorry. In MTT's this is a recipe for getting close to the money with a small stack.