View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Re: How do you pay yourself?

[ QUOTE ]
When moving up in stakes and becoming a pro, at what point did you tell yourself that you'd stick around at your current level and save up 1000BB plus expenses?

[/ QUOTE ]

I started playing 3/6 tables and already had some money from playing poker at 1/2 and then 2/4. I think it was the moment I saw that over 100k hands, I was making ~1.5BB/hr/table that I said, "Hm. Might as well stop for a while and save savor this sweet victory." And then when I quit work, I had the 3 mo. worth of expenses and I decided I would move to 5/10 as soon as my bankroll increased.

[ QUOTE ]
Was it difficult to hold yourself back from the next limit while you knew you had more than 3x the bankroll at one point?

[/ QUOTE ]

Listen: as long as there are poker players who continue to make a buck, discipline will be a constant struggle. Sure, it's difficult, but I play poker like it's my own little business. That is, if I'm not disciplined and I move up faster than I should, I risk losing my poker career. With such high stakes, I'd rather play it safe, regardless of my abilities and temptations.

If you're thinking about playing poker as your primary source of income, just remember that discipline is everything. You need to approach every decision with the utmost maturity, because trust me, it's much harder than working a 9-5.

Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions.