Thread: limit or no?
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 02:52 AM

Default Re: limit or no?

[ QUOTE ]
but is there a decision of Limit vs NL?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not that this is a bad question; it is a good question. One I certainly asked when I started. The problem is that there is no right answer as to whether one should start with Limit vs NL.

The truth is, there are many viable ways to begin your poker education. I'd guess that most of us sort of checked out different games, and at some point we just picked a game and decided to focus on that.

Personally, I started a year and a half ago playing limit hold'em because I just assumed that it was less complicated than NL. I lost my first deposit. Then I dabbled in some SnGs -first no limit then stud and actually made money for for a while, but didn't really have any direction. Then one day I was in the book store and I picked up SSH. I started reading it. I don't know why I picked up that book, I just did. Because of it, I decided to focus on limit hold'em. I would suggest that you follow that path, but if I did, it would only because its the one that I took and it worked for me. However, I don't doubt that someone else had just as good as a time with NL, or SnGs or Stud.

I don't think it really matters what you pick, just that pick something and throw all your effort into it. So flip a coin or something, but when you do, study your ass off, post and read posts, and play lots of hands. In a few months, if you feel like you want to give the other game a shot, then do it.