View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 02:40 AM

Default Re: I don\'t Have a Problem with a Good Person Going to Hell

[ QUOTE ]

The problem with evangelism is not so much the intent, but the fact that it does not respect individuals' autonomy. I believe that I am not going to hell. In fact, I don't even believe in hell. Evangelist John Doe believes that I am going to hell. Who's right? I don't know; both beliefs are equally valid, and therein lies the problem. Where does John Doe's belief become more important in regard to my life than my own belief? Why should my life be unwillingly subjected to his judgment?

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry Scott, I stated things poorly. I shouldn't have said evangelists. What I meant was your family and/or loved ones. I wasn't talking about Reverend John Doe. I just don't get the non-chalant Christian mother telling her son "oh, you're going to hell, but I'm not so Oh Well". I don't believe in hell either, but if I did I would at least show some concern about my family going to the "Pit of burning oil and eternal pain". I'm just saying that I have patience for my mother's preaching, I wasn't talking about Reverend Lovejoy trying to convert the "Heathen" tribesmen.