View Single Post
Old 11-15-2005, 09:03 PM

Default Re: Brand Spankin\' New Glock 19

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone tell me what the laws regarding guns are in the US?

Can you just go buy a gun, or do you need a permit/licence first?

Do you have to go through any training to be allowed to own one?

Are there rules to state how you store it and where (ie. in a gun safe or something), or can you have them laying around wherever or in your car?

edit: and for the guys who carry them around concealed, what do you have to do that have that privaledge? And do you actually carry it around everywhere you go?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Buying from a store: there are different waiting periods state to state, but you always have to pass a federal background check. If you have any history of domestic violence or a felony record you will be declined.

2) Most states you do not need a permit/license to buy. IL has a license (FOID) and MI has a pistol permit.

3) No training required AFAIK.

4) Depends on the state. Many states you can have a loaded rifle in your car (think south). Many you can't have a loaded pistol without a concealed carry license. In every state (except maybe California) on your own property you can carry/store however you want and that's how it should be.

5) For a concealed carry license, most states require training, some don't, all require a license except AK and VT. No, I don't carry because I live behind enemy lines (IL - blue state). If I could I would always carry because you can't really predict when you need it.