View Single Post
Old 11-15-2005, 07:52 PM

Default Re: I fail to raise AKo from the BB

[ QUOTE ]
By raising you force all the others who already made a mistake by entering the pot, you force them to contribute more money to the pot, thus providing the pot with more dead money

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not necessarily a true statement. While its true they make a mistake by making their original pf call w/a less than adequate hand, when more money goes into the pot their mistake is lessened.

Example

Good player open raises utg, bad player cold calls the raise w/Q7o, 2 players call behind. You look down at AKo and 3 bet, utg calls and badplayer calls. What just traspired here is that bad player called 2 bets cold getting 3.5:2 on his call the first time around. This is clearly a mistake b/c his hand is likely more than a 3.5:2 dog in this situation and he will not play well enough post flop to recoup the losses. When the bad player has to make his next call, he's getting 12.5:1 on this hand. This is clearly a good call b/c his hand is much better than a 12.5:1 dog.

Inflating the pot pf does not necessarily exploit the greatest equity edge against our opponents in this situation. As entity pointed out, I like the ability to disguise my hand and plan my attack based on the flop strenth rather than be caught oop in a huge pot w/no way of protecting my hand.