View Single Post
Old 11-15-2005, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Hiring day laborers

My wife had an internship at St Joseph's where they have a store that sell donated items and a day laborer center. So we used them when we moved. It worked great for us and it has advantages over the "drive to home depot and pick 3 random guys" method.

You can schedule it. We told them we needed 3 people, on who spoke at least passable english, for moving for 6 hours and were paying $15 an hour. They scheduled 3 people and when they were waiting when we got there.

If anything happenned, at least someone knows who they are. Ie they aren't random guys who just escaped prison in some other country.
These guys worked hard. I figured on 6 hours with 4 of us moving. We were done in under 4. I ended up paying them for the whole 6 hours anyway. They made the move much easier.

Just be aware that the money you save has a price. You are underwriting your own damage risk. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I had a friend do the same thing and a glass tabletop got broken. If day laborers break it, well looks like you didn't save much money this time. I always made sure I took care of moving the TV and computers, etc.

So see if your local salvation army, goodwill type organization has a day laborer center if you don't have any starving college kids to have do it.

Pancho