View Single Post
Old 11-15-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Re: playing against the \"I\'ve got aces\" reraise with a medium/small pa

[ QUOTE ]
I feel as though everyone plays these pairs way too weakly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whenever everyone on this board does something, take note.

[ QUOTE ]
You limp, couple other limps, you flop your set and you make nothing. You limp, somebody puts in a big raise behind and you fold. I think this is wrong. You play it strong, build up the pot, and make them call a big "continuation" bet after you hit your set. if you don't hit the set, be done with it. I agree that any more than 140 I don't call.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I think you're saying: raise in MP with a small PP. If you make a set, c-bet. If you don't, you can get away.

The problems I see with this: when you raise with a PP, you dilute your pot-odds for hitting a set because you get less callers. Also, when you hit and make a c-bet, you'll get a lot of folds because you'll be representing TPTK or an overpair. You're (usually) risking 3 BB.

When you limp, you drag more limpers with you and increase your pot-odds of hitting the set. When you hit, your hand is well disguised. Many limpers will stay in the pot with 2nd pair or an inside straight draw (assuming a low buy-in) even if you've become aggressive. You're (often) risking 1 BB.

My default action when folded to in MP with a PP is to limp and call any reasonable raise.