View Single Post
Old 11-15-2005, 03:37 PM

Default Re: My girlfriend wants me to stop playing!

[ QUOTE ]
Now, of course I'll choose her over poker any day of the week, and if it comes down to that, let there be no doubt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets assume for a minute that she is worth more than poker, which I doubt she is, this line is just bound to lose her anyway.

If you do this, you transfer all the power to her. She'll feel like you will do anything to keep her and she will have no fear of losing you. You will then become boring and unattractive to her. She will feel safe testing the water and meeting new guys, guys whom she has yet to win complete approval from, knowing that you will be waiting for her just in case things don't work out. Basically, you'll turn into a friend.

Do just the opposite. Tell her that you are young and that her putting these demands on you just makes you realize how much you value your independance. Tell her that she is an important part of your life, but that right now she is just one part of your life. Tell her that you have a lot of oppertunities right now that you don't want to miss out on.

Will she be pissed and upset, sure that will be her first reaction. Then she'll think about how you are willing to choose poker over her and that she isn't all that great and how smart and attractive you are and how she doesn't want to lose you and how lucky she was to ever to be with a guy like you in the first place. Then you can continue to date her and she'll remain attracted to you.

I know this doesn't appeal to the true love romantic in you, but if you want to save your relationship, you certainly can't let her push you around.