View Single Post
Old 11-15-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Roy Cooke article in Card Player is wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
His main point being that internet hold 'em ring games require a 50% larger bankroll than live play.

No tipping and no jackpot drop unless desired should not increase but decrease bankroll requirements.

I've played probably 500,000 hands of online poker from $1-$2 to $5-$10 and have not deviated down more than 150 BB at any point.

I believe that bank roll requirement are much less for online winning players.

He usually has such good advice. I was surprised to see such an inaccurate assesment.

Comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say that Cook is closer to being right than you are probably. I say this for two reasons:

1) You're win rate probably drops a little because the players tend to be better than at the same limits you play live and the information you get about your opponents is better live although these points are certainly open to debate.

2) I think a good player live is subject to less variance for a variety of reasons with one being that it's probably easier to read players and hands live than it is online FWIW. The reading players and hands part effects win rates and variance IMO.

With all that said I think playing online is much better than playing live from the standpoint of making money and having your skill dominate your results in a shorter period of time again FWIW.