View Single Post
Old 11-15-2005, 11:39 AM

Default Evolution - from Fish to Formidable inside a year.... (?)

Hello people of two plus two...

Way back when I started playing poker (all of ooh 3 months ago now) I set myself a target of being a reasonable poker player inside of a year - I'm not planning to quit the day job and go pro - but I want to be good enough and bankrolled enough to comfortably play NL$1000 tables or higher so I can make myself a nice little 2nd income.

So far I have gone from clueless newbie little fish - to a slightly smarter fish that is beginning to realise just how big and dangerous the sea is...

It is slowly dawning on me just how complicated poker actually is - especially playing No Limit. If I could go back I start over learning Limit poker - but I am way to stubborn to give up now....

The point of this post is to ask what the average person ought to do to improve their game... and more specifically what I should be doing to improve my game...

so far I have read lots of poker books
HOH 1&2
SSHE (this was a bad idea - NOW I Know this is for LIMIT HE and NL is much more different than I thought it was DOH!)
and GSIH.

I keep track of my results with PT and try to spend at least an hour a day going through the plays I have made and trying to work out which are good and which are not

I spend at least an hour a day reading 2+2 forums both the current ones and looking through ye olde archives and occasionally post hands for feedback (and most excellent feedback it is too)

I play full ring tables 1 table at a time - I find that this gives me more than enough to keep track of - I watch every hand thats played - I take notes on players all the time...

I don't have a starting hand chart - I used to but I can pretty much remember it all now anyway and I am learning that especially in NL every hand depends on circumstances to a greater or lesser degree so a rigid formula for starting with is actually more of a hinderance.

I don't have an outs chart either - tho there are several in the books I have if I really need to read one - and I'm lucky in that I'm good at mental arithmatic and can work out ballpark figures at the table in no time anyway...

so far so good??

Am I going about learning this fabulous game correctly?

am I making glaringly obvious newbie mistakes?

What else would you advise that I do to accelerate the learning process?

and is my goal of being a reasonably good player within a year actually attainable - or will it take much longer?

Thanks in advance for all the help ..