View Single Post
Old 11-15-2005, 01:18 AM

Default Re: KK early in Super Monday

Your way of playing is easy. You raise to 150, if some fish calls and flops a set, well then he's a fish and you can write one that off because you made the correct play preflop and he made a clear mistake.

However, your way is not the best. You should be concerned with things like raising to a standard opening to protect the value of your hands. You want worse hands to call like lower pairs, middle pairs, and AJ AQ KT blah blah etc. So, occasionally some fish makes a preflop mistake and you bone him from behind and take his stack. But most of the time you are playing so that players around you, even the most retarded ones in the world, can play correctly.

Sure, I allow smaller pairs to correctly call and play the flop, and if I had my choice I'd want hands that have lots of implied odds like a low pair, I'd choose for them to fold.

But the idea is that if I raise enough with all sorts of hands, people are going to be playing very poorly if they call with lower pairs trying to stack me off with a set, because most of the time I'll have a hand that can't double them up. This, in turn, allows me to get paid off more when people realize that I am active, and when I standard raise with KK or whatever I'll get more action from hands that can double me up.

Also, JJ is saying he is getting away when people flop sets often. Well, I'm not. But again, all the action I get from having a disguised hand against second best hands more than makes up for the times someone flops a set on a 279 board with 2 hearts and I double them up because I didn't raise to 10bb preflop.

-Jason