View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 11:14 PM

Default Re: What to do with my life (need advice bad)?

FWIW - I've been through a few similar situations in my life and am considering another--quitting a boring computer programming job to work freelance and play a lot more poker. But to put your situation in terms this board can relate to: I think if you add up the eV of hanging around for your bonus + eV of putting in enough time to not look like a complete flake should you ever decide to step in these waters again + eV of seeing something through enough to know 100% for sure it's not for you (2 months in a job is almost never sufficient) = no-brainer. I think every job I've ever had has gone through a low point somewhere between 6 and 18 months, but after that it usually gets better.

Poker's calling me too. But I know giving up my (however boring) 6-figure job would just be stupid at this point. Having said that, don't waste your life if you KNOW IB is something you hate. But make sure you think things through and make damn sure you really feel that way before you throw away this opportunity. And don't confuse wanting to sleep in, set your own hours and play a game for a living with following a passion. Everyone wants the former, passion needs to be combined with hard work and commitment if you're ever going to accomplish something great. Nothing worth doing in life is ever easy. Think about where you want to go with poker. And if it's just so you can set your own hours, etc., think about where 5,10,20 years of that is going to leave you. I think that person winds up as shallow as the coworkers you can't stand.