View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 07:13 PM

Default Was this fishy play or Solid play in a big pot?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
[color=#666666]2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, [color=#CC3333]Hero raises</font>, [color=#666666]1 fold</font>, Button calls, [color=#CC3333]SB 3-bets</font>, [color=#666666]1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls, Button calls.

At this point I did not have a read on the SB, but I thought I needed to call. AJo is a hand I don't like to play very much, but I do not like to limp with it when I play it.

Flop: (19 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](6 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]SB bets</font>, [color=#CC3333]UTG+2 raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, Hero calls, Button folds, [color=#CC3333]SB 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Ok, the pot was huge and I had an overcard, gutshot, and backdoor flush draw. I figured it was worth about 4.5-5 outs. I don't know if raising to protect my hand was the best play, I was ready to dump on the turn if I faced a bet and raise .

Turn: (15.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](4 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]SB bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Ok getting close to 20 to 1 I had to call. I know my chances were grim but the pot was to big to flop IMO. At this point I figured the SB had a queen or overpair and there was a flush draw between the BB and MP1.

River: (19.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](4 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]SB bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

I think this was my mistake, I felt the SB was married to his hand and the UTG had something he was going to call with, but I froze up and called out of surprise. I am sure I made a mistake here and should have raised for value, but was not sure at the time. I was most likly caught in the moment.
Final Pot: 22.50 BB

Was this calling down a fishy move or do you think that this is a good example of calling down in a big pot with grim odds and may be drawing dead (although unlikly, BC the UTG would have been raising if he had JT.)