View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Anyone know anything about reggae?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Peter Tosh came out with some good solo stuff after he left the Wailers, and before he got killed by a couple of homeless people he let live with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be a little more accurate, he was killed by fellow Rastas for violating some core tenants of their culture. To a certain extent there is some resentment towards the Reggae musicians within the Rasta community because they often somewhat contradict their roots and what the movement is about.
I just so happen to know this because one of my classes is covering the Rastafari which are the group responsible for the creation of Reggae music.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know the source of that information about Tosh's death. The generally accepted version in Jamaica is that the guy, Dennis Lobban, was a friend/associate of Tosh's who did time for Tosh by taking responsibility for an illegal gun that Tosh had (they were both in the back of a car that was stopped in a police roadblock, Tosh handed the gun to Lobban with vague promises to "take care of him"). After he got out of jail there was a dispute over the level of compensation, that escalated into the shooting.

Lobban was convicted of Tosh's murder.

And to the OP, try Dennis Brown. He was at one time heralded as Bob's heir apparent. He wasn't quite able to live up to that, IMO his songwriting was just not strong enough, but he made some good records.