View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Anybody a police officer or work for the police department?

[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to go local, find a big department with opportunities to advance. Smaller department have fewer of these opportunities.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am planning to go local if I do it... Fed is an idea but I imagine I'd have to relocate and I'm not ready for that yet. Local experience would be a plus if I ever choose to go that route (if I even choose to go the local route in the first place, that is).

According to what I've read, the MDPD is responsible for 2 million people and has about 3k officers. Dunno if that's considered large or not.

[ QUOTE ]
I have a lot of friends that are local cops as well and most of them got off the street as soon as possible and took the Sgt exam, tried out for the tactical team, or motorbikes, or other specialized units. Patrol work can get tedious after a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have no intention of sticking to patrol work. First thing I read in their brochure was that you can take the Sgt Exam after 2 years if you are good, which would be my plan. Ideally I'd like to do something that involves a lot of critical thinking and investigating where I could do more good than handing out tickets and responding to domestic disputes.

Come on... anybody else? Don't cops play p*ker too?