View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Anybody a police officer or work for the police department?

[ QUOTE ]
There are limits to how fast and how high you can move but they are usually in need of smart people in some of the higher roles.

But again, its really all going to be dependant on your department.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'd be interested in the higher roles and I imagine my speed would be limited not by my own abilities, but rather by the department. It would be the Miami-Dade PD. Nice sized city so I imagine there would be plenty to do up the ladder.

[ QUOTE ]
As for money - you have a degree in computer science. You can get an entry level position for more than you will ever make as a civil servant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily true... this cop I know through my dad whom I spoke to is making over 55k working behind a desk. My buddy is a programmer with experience making under 55k.

Don't know if that's an exception to the rule or if it's more common than one thinks.

I hate thinking about it from a financial standpoint though since one could reason that just because I'm "smart" I shouldn't be A because B makes more money, or I shouldn't be B because C makes more money. etc... It can't possibly be a job full of nothing but terrible things or else no one would want to do it.

Are you a cop? What exactly do you not like about the job itself that would make you not recommend it?