View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 01:47 PM

Default Re: live hand--flop play with AQ

I KNEW IT. I had a strong suspicion that you'd get mixed answers. "3bet the flop" and "call and c/raise the turn".

I see value in both answers. And it depends.

I reraise the flop if my opponents are VERY loose and weak. But I c/raise the turn if I'm am very sure that I can land one on the turn.

A free card, as mentioned earlier, on the turn is disasterous, but it would be the right play I think. Giving a free card in a big pot is a (big) mistake. To c/raise, you need a good read, such as the guy doesn't bet draws hard on the flop, and he likes to bet when checked too, and he's an aggressive player. All of these reads will lead me to call flop and c/r turn.

Without these reads, you might as well get the immediate pay off and re-raise the flop.

GOOD preflop raise! AQo is a good hand and will win more than it share (BY FAR!!) against weak loose limpers. NOT RAISING THIS is bad. I don't like to raise AJ, or KQ in the SB or BB preflop unless they are suited. Ako and AQo definately need a raise preflop from all positions. They are two "BEST!" non pair offsuit hands! There are only 13/169 wired pairs in hold'em (wired pairs are a wee bit better of preflop than a top non-pair hand). that leaves 159/169 non-pair hands. That means you are ahead of 157 hands that they might have!!! THAT'S A HUGE EDGE! The ratio of non-pair hands to wired pairs is approx 12.23:1. That means it is 12 times more likely your opponent has a non-pair hand than a paired one. AK is the best non-pair hand! AQo is just 2nd to that.

Raise AQo preflop! You'll more than your fair share. That's limit hold'em