View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 06:05 AM

Default Re: A variation of Pascal\'s Wager-Question for Non Believers

[ QUOTE ]
Here's my question for the non-believers: Each soldier in that formation knelt down to receive General Absolution. If in that formation, would you have knelt to accept General Absolution as well? What about a situation where death is almost certain, like an airplane about to crash?

It seems to me that even for a committed atheist, this is entirely a "spiritual freeroll" with no downside and only a very large upside. I'm curious about the rationale for those who wouldn't take it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm an atheist, and I wouldn't take it. The reasons, briefly, are as follows:

1. I'm an atheist as a natural consequence of being rational (at least in that respect), which I consider to be a virtue. I would want to spend the last moments of my life acting consistent with those values.

2. If the personal "god" of Christianity exists as interpreted by most Christians, he is profoundly evil. Thus, the only thing I'd have to say to him would be: "Thanks for putting me and countless others in this position, you evil rat bastard."

3. If "god" is actually good, he will more likely reward me if I remain rational, i.e. reason #1.

Hence, my best "wager" would be not to accept absolution. Any "god" who would punish me for this can't be trusted anyway.