Thread: Going digital
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 03:22 AM

Default Re: Going digital

[ QUOTE ]
I've been burning them at MP3 192 bitrate, but which I vaguely understood to be sufficient, but now I wonder if I eschew the source media, if I might in the future regret not having higher quailty rips? What issues should I be concerned about with this plan

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on how important high quality audio is to you. Many people seem to be ok with 128bit, and that's fine I suppose, especially if the music is being listened to in less than ideal settings (car, plane, office, commuting, etc.). But, most people probably haven't listened to music on a half-decent system and don't know what they are missing. I rip everything at the highest bitrate possible and only listen to mp3s when I'm traveling. I would never pay a cent for anything that was less then full CD quality. But that's me,

If you ever plan to spend any kind of money on a real stereo system in the future I wouldn't get rid of your CDs. When I purchased my new stereo system several years ago listening to music on it was a revelation. If you don't expect to listen to music on anything but a medicore system then your plan is fine.