Thread: tax question
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2005, 09:12 PM

Default Re: tax question

[ QUOTE ]
Its not your money until all conditions are released and you can withdraw it at will. Right now, the money still belongs to the site, not you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This does make sense to me. The money isn't necessarily yours, it still belongs to the site because of the situation you're in. As a result I think you can get away with not claiming it. Everything is such a gray scale with filing taxes. I would just use your judgment on this one but consulting a professional is your best bet if you want to make sure you aren't liable. IMO, it is morally ridiculous to me to even consider filing money that I may not even get. I personally think it would be fine to just file that money on next year's returns instead.

However iceman, the IRS doesn't know what's in your poker account but if you are audited the IRS has the right to ask for the passwords to your poker accounts to check the balance of them. Someone on this forum was audited and refused to give the IRS their password to his accounts and he was penalized.

In this situation however, if the IRS wanted the password to your confiscated poker account they wouldn't be able to access the information they needed to anyway since you can't login yourself, right?