Thread: River AQ
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2005, 01:12 PM

Default Re: River AQ

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think this is a pretty easy preflop raise. 3 limpers from the latter half of the table? Me have AQo on the button? Raise her up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it's not easy and it ends up being rather close if you start to analyze. It's something I would mix up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I could find the thread, but there was a thread a few weeks back about AQo in the big blind against 4 limps. I advocated not raising for equity reasons because of position and the fact that we have offsuit cards that lose value multiway. I was pummelled mercilessly. Ok, so I wasn't pummelled mercilessly, but I was convinced by well respected posters (W. Deranged maybe?) that our equity edge is appreciable (although not giant). Against reasonable non-random limping hands like small pocket, suited connectors, suited aces, etc, we have about 25% equity 5 handed, a significant overlay. Add to this the chance to knock out the blinds and potentially see a 4 card flop, or bet the flop and freecard the turn, and the chance to correctly draw to gutshot broadway flops (KJx, KTx, JTx), and I just feel like I have to raise here. Seriously, what's the difference between not raising AKo here and not raising AQo? And would you ever not raise AKo from the button after 3 limpers from the back half of the table?

I would like to hear the arguments for sometimes limping though. Maybe I'm missing the boat.